So this place has come quite a bit further since the last time I posted about it. In fact, the very first time I made a notice about the BSSN, I didn’t even have email notifications working correctly and nobody could get by the registration page without being hit in the face with a confusing error code!
Now, though, the BSSN is quite the functional social network. Currently we are federated with a handful of combined Mastodon and GNU Social instances, including p2px, mastodon.social, mastodon.starrevolution, witches.town and more (federated, as in, connected across multiple servers).
What types of features can you except on the BSSN?
- It’s just like old Twitter
- You can literally connect to your Twitter account and clone your notices to tweets
- Integrated XMPP chat client, also accessible via Pidgin on your desktop (with instructions)
- Detailed instructions on how to use the BSSN on the Twidere mobile app
- 1,000 character notice limit (notice = tweet/toot)
- An admin who doesn’t tolerate white nationalists
What can you expect in the future?
- Two-factor authentication
- A functional report feature, cutting out the need to manually contact the admin directly
- Integrated login from the BSSN to the Point Reyes Grove forum (still under construction as I type this)
- Working pinned notices to the top of your BSSN profile
- CW feature similar to what is currently used across Mastodon instances
- And more!
Why should you join a federated, decentralized social network, though? Well, aside from the fact that it’s this vampire themed place I decided to toss up on my server alongside this blog, it is also a place where I hope that many more LGBTQ+ people and people of color can find a home. Especially those who are as enthusiastic about supernatural/fantasy type themes as I am.
Under our current political climate in the United States, and really, across the entire world, it is becoming more and more hostile and dangerous for marginalized people to exist on corporate controlled social media. This isn’t to say that you should abandon your friends and feeds on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. I would never expect anyone to do that (heck, I’m still on all of those things).
But when you need a place to go, the BSSN is one of those places where you can roam.
If you do join up and you run into some less-than-desirable people, like Nazis, or whatever, please do not hesitate to contact me @mskavanagh. There is absolutely zero tolerance for abusive behavior and I will deal with it as quickly as I can, as long as I know about it.
Otherwise, happy weekend and I hope that I have helped in some way to create a safer community for marginalized people.
Update 8/13/2017: Pinning and trending hashtags now functional